The History of Mold Golf Club
Over a hundred years of golfing excellence
Early records show that golf arrived in the Mold area with the opening of the Hafod Golf Links, adjacent to what is now the Plas Hafod Hotel, from as early as 1905. However, with only very limited transport facilities available, the location of the course proved problematic and, in 1909, a new more accessible setting was leased from the Leeswood Estate with the first tee close to Padeswood Station – seven minutes by train from Mold.
This was soon to change again during 1927 when Mold experienced some of the heaviest rainfall on record and compounded later that year with the River Alyn when North Wales was hit by the worst storm in living memory. The decision was taken to abandon the course at Padeswood and move the club to its present location at Pantymwyn.
Established in its new home, Mold Golf Club has undoubtedly flourished. The cricket pavilion, which had come to Pantymwyn via Padeswood, was replaced by a purpose built clubhouse, since extended and refurbished, in 1968. The course was extended to eighteen holes in 1977.
Unrelenting attention to the layout and meticulous green keeping have seen the condition of the course improved year on year and it is now generally acknowledged to be one of the finest in North East Wales.